Master of Communication (Media Management)
PROGRAM DETAILSProgramme Code: A304
Medium of instructions: English
Credit hours: 42
Duration of Studies:
- Full Time: 3-6 semesters
- Part Time: 6-8 semesters
Programme Option: By Coursework
BACKGROUND OF THE PROGRAMME
At present, communication field is a systematic and professional area practiced in developed countries. It is an area that influences the society’s lifestyle and values. This programme is offered to enhance and manage Islamic knowledge in communication field especially in broadcasting and journalism.
It is hoped to produce knowledgeable professionals in communication field that will expand the teachings of Islam by opening room for researchers and educators to study, research and spread knowledge in the respective field.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The Master of Communication (Media Management) programme is designed to achieve the following objectives:
- To produce postgraduates with strong Islamic and communication knowledge to carry out broadcasting, journalism and production duties;
- To produce postgraduates in Islamic studies and committed in broadcasting, journalism and production work; and
- To produce efficient human resource and researcher that can provide maknawi and maddi contribution to the development of community and nation especially in broadcasting, journalism and advertising.
- Theories and Model of Communication
This course will discuss the conceptual foundations of communication, the meaning and development of theory, theory in the communication discipline and critical perspective of metatheoritical development. In addition, the course will also discuss theories of communication processes and theories of communication contexts. The emphasis will be given to the popular theories of media such as social cognitive theory, uses and gratification theory, agenda setting theory, cultivation theory and media systems dependency theory. The development of communication models such as models of communication process and models of persuasion will also be discussed. The emphasis and comparison between Western and Islamic theories on communication will be given due consideration.
- Scriptwriting and Media Production
This course is design to introduce students to the rudiments of screenplay composition and film or video (alternative) production. This begins with revision to the script writing and method of developing storyboard, introduction and process of film production as well as generation of a short screenplay (short film and documentary). The course emphasizes theme, story, plot, dialogue, character arc, dramatic structure, script format, and the process of developing and writing a script. In order to inform, educate and persuade the audience, students will be providing with all the essential practical skills and knowledge necessary to work professionally in the generally field of broadcasting.
- Media Effects and Propaganda
Media Effects and Propaganda provides students with an in-depth understanding of how the media are constantly influencing individuals and society. The subject is constructed and organized around two main templates. The first template helps organize thinking about media influences on the effects of media on our daily life such as entertainments, campaign as well some fundamentals theories of media effects. The second focuses on media propaganda on a larger scale which involves the issue of democracy, news framing and of course the influences of new media technology in the propaganda context.
- Public Relations
This course will explore the basic skills and knowledge required in public relations practice through lectures and case studies. Considering the social, organizations, administrative, cultures and ethical context and implications of modern public relations practice. It encourages the students to think critically how to set measurable goals and establish a strategy for achieving results in fund raising, lobbying and volunteer development, as well as in advancing the work of the organization. It's the public relations officer's or PR chair's job to remind the organization of its loftier mission, to congratulate achievement in all its forms and to help keep the channels of communication open.
For more information on our EXPERTS, please refer to http://fkp.usim.edu.my/communiction/
Digital marketer; media buyer; Media planner; Media researcher; Public relations officer; Social media manager; Television/film/video producer; Web content manager; Advertising account executive; Broadcast journalist; Editorial assistant; Event manager; Magazine journalist; Market researcher; Marketing executive; Media researcher; Writer
Media studies graduates typically enter careers in the media, cultural and creative industries. Areas of work include television and radio, film and video, digital media, computer games, journalism, writing and publishing, PR and media practice.
- Communications agencies
- The Civil Service
- Further and higher education institutions, such as colleges and universities
- Local government
- Marketing organisations
- Media companies
- The newspaper industry
- PR consultancies
- Publishing companies
- TV and radio companies.
Admission to Master’s Degree by Coursework
- A bachelor’s degree in the field or related fields with a minimum CGPA of 2.50/4.00 or equivalent, as accepted by the Senate; or
- A bachelor’s degree in the field or related fields or equivalent with a minimum CGPA of 2.00/4.00 and not meeting a CGPA of 2.50/4.00, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in the relevant field and rigorous internal assessment;or
- Candidates without a qualification in the related fields or working experience in the relevant fields must undergo appropriate prerequisite courses determined by the University and meet the minimum CGPA based on (1) to (2) above; or
- Other qualifications equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with honours AND relevant professional work experience.
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
(1) An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).
Local Full Time
Local Part Time
Master of Communication (Media Management)
The fees that stated are subject to change from time to time without any prior notice by the University. Student are advised to check the CGS Website for any changes before the of each semester registration. All fees must be paid upon registration.
The university has the right to withdraw this offer or to terminate you from your study if you are found to suffer from or to be a carrier of contagious/infectious diseases, or to suffer from a medical condition requiring continuous medical care that will adversely affect your study at USIM.
(1) Communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
(2) Chronic Non-communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
Applicants can apply via online at https://bit.ly/usimpgapplication1 and fill the prescribed forms. Forms and supporting authenticated documents must then be submitted through online or mailed to the office.
For information related to visa and student pass, please refer to http://alamiyyah.usim.edu.my
Centre for Academic Management
Division of Graduate Studies
Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia
Bandar Baru Nilai, 71800, Nilai, Negeri Sembilan, MALAYSIA
Phone: +606 797 8683 / +606 797 8684
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org /email@example.com