Doctor of Philosophy in Social Sciences
PROGRAM DETAILSProgramme Code: G401
Medium of instructions: English and Malay
Duration of Studies:
- Full Time: 6-8 semesters
- Part Time: 8-10 semesters
Programme Option: By Research
BACKGROUND OF THE PROGRAMME
Doctor of Philosophy in Social Sciences is offered by research mode only. It covers a broad social and behavioural sciences areas in Psychology, Sociology and Cultural Studies, Political Sciences and Civics and Economics.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The course is designed to enable students:
- To apply advanced knowledge in specific areas of social and behavioural sciences.
- To develop an advanced level of comprehension, analytical thinking and research skills in the area.
- To utilise the advancement of information technology in social and behavioural sciences research and the development of business opportunities in the field.
- To utilise effective communication and to lead and engage in academic discourses.
- To acquire interdisciplinary perspectives in addressing social and behavioural sciences issues;
- To synthesise and promote Islamic, ethical and professional values in social and behavioural sciences researches.
Areas of research include, but not limited to, are as following:
Development and Child Therapy
Sociology and Cultural Studies
Social conflict theory
Political Science and Civics
Peace and conflict studies
- A Master’s degree in the field or related fields accepted by the Senate; or
- Other relevant qualifications equivalent to a Master’s degree AND with relevant professional experience recognised by the Senate; or
- Candidates without a related qualification in the field/s or working experience in the relevant fields must undergo appropriate prerequisite courses determined by the Faculty.
- Incumbent Master’s degree Student who has fulfilled the requirement of Regulations 8.0 and is approved by the Senate to convert his/her study to a Ph.D. degree; or
- A Bachelor’s degree with the following conditions:
i. a bachelor's degree in the field or related fields with first-class (CGPA of 3.67 or higher) or its equivalent from an academic or Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) programme;
ii. undergo internal assessment; and
iii. any other requirements of the JKPSU.
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
(1) An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).
Local Full Time
Local Part Time
Doctor of Philosophy in Social Science
The fees that stated are subject to change from time to time without any prior notice by the University. Student are advised to check the CGS Website for any changes before the of each semester registration. All fees must be paid upon registration.
|Sociology And Cultural Studies|
|Political Science And Civics|
The university has the right to withdraw this offer or to terminate you from your study if you are found to suffer from or to be a carrier of contagious/infectious diseases, or to suffer from a medical condition requiring continuous medical care that will adversely affect your study at USIM.
(1) Communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
(2) Chronic Non-communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
Applicants can apply via online at https://bit.ly/usimpgapplication1 and fill the prescribed forms. Forms and supporting authenticated documents must then be submitted through online or mailed to the office.
For information related to visa and student pass, please refer to http://alamiyyah.usim.edu.my
Centre for Academic Management
Division of Graduate Studies
Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia
Bandar Baru Nilai, 71800, Nilai, Negeri Sembilan, MALAYSIA
Phone: +606 797 8683 / +606 797 8684
Email: email@example.com /firstname.lastname@example.org