Master of Shariah
PROGRAM DETAILSProgramme Code: L302
Medium of instructions: English, Arabic and Malay
Programme Option: By Research
Background of the Programme
This program is designed for those interested to pursue studies in syariah on a research basis. It provides opportunity for the candidates to build on the skills and knowledge in syariah that they have developed during undergraduate degrees. The candidates will be supervised by an appointed faculty academic member(s) in the relevant field. The supervisors will guide the candidates on the skills needed in conducting independent research in order to produce sound research on the research subject.
The candidates will undergo a process of qualifying test (QT) before a special committee formed by the faculty to obtain approval on the area and title of the research. The acceptable languages for the submission of thesis is either English or Arabic, words being not exceeding 50,000 words. To be eligible for a Master of Syariah qualification, the candidates have to successfully go through a viva-voce, examined by at least two examiners, one of whom is an external examiner.
The faculty takes pride in the diversity of the faculty members’ area of interest in law. Candidates of this programme may benefit from the research areas. Areas of research include, but not limited to, the following:
- Islamic Contitution (Fiqh Al-Dusturi Wal-Idari, As-Siyasah As-Syariah)
- Usul Fiqh (Al-Manahij Al-Usuliyah, Qias, Al-Furuq Al-Usuliyah)
- Al-Tamwil Al-Islamiy
- Qanun Duwali Al-Islamiy (Qanun Al-Alaqat
- Falsafah wa Al-Maqasid Syariah fi Jinayat
Objectives of the Programme
The course is designed to enable students:
- To apply advanced knowledge in specific areas of syariah;
- To develop an advanced level of comprehension, analytical thinking and research skills in law;
- To utilise the advancement of ICT in legal research and the development of business opportunities in the field;
- To utilise effective communication and to lead and engage in academic discourses;
- To acquire interdisciplinary perspectives in addressing syariah legal issues;
- To synthesise and promote Islamic, ethical and professional values in syariah legal researches.
Admission to Master’s Degree by Research
- A bachelor’s degree in the field or related fields with a minimum CGPA of 2.75/4.00 or equivalent, as accepted by the Senate; or
- A bachelor’s degree in the field or related fields or equivalent with a minimum CGPA of 2.50/4.00 and not meeting CGPA of 2.75/4.00, can be accepted subject to rigorous internal assessment. or
- A bachelor’s degree in the field or related fields or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.00/4.00 and not meeting CGPA of 2.50/4.00, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in the relevant field and rigorous internal assessment.
- Candidates without a qualification in the related fields or relevant working experience must undergo appropriate prerequisite courses determined by the University and meet the minimum CGPA based on (1) to (3) above; or
- Other qualifications equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with honours AND relevant professional work experience.
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
(1) An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).
Local Full Time
Local Part Time
Master of Shariah
The fees that stated are subject to change from time to time without any prior notice by the University. Student are advised to check the CGS Website for any changes before the of each semester registration. All fees must be paid upon registration.
The university has the right to withdraw this offer or to terminate you from your study if you are found to suffer from or to be a carrier of contagious/infectious diseases, or to suffer from a medical condition requiring continuous medical care that will adversely affect your study at USIM.
(1) Communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
(2) Chronic Non-communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
Applicants can apply via online at https://ipps2.usim.edu.my/ and fill the prescribed forms. Forms and supporting authenticated documents must then be submitted through online or mailed to the office.
For information related to visa and student pass, please refer to http://alamiyyah.usim.edu.my
Centre for Academic Management
Division of Graduate Studies
Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia
Bandar Baru Nilai, 71800, Nilai, Negeri Sembilan, MALAYSIA
Phone: +606 797 8683 / +606 797 8684
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org /email@example.com