Doctor Of Philosophy In Built Environment
PROGRAM DETAILSProgramme Code: B401
Medium of instructions: English and Malay
Duration of Studies:
- Full Time: 6-12 semesters
- Part Time: 8-16 semesters
Programme Option: By Research
The Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment maintains the prime role of invigorating science-based elements within certain programmes and researches currently active in USIM. This is evident in certain researches closely related to the Built Environment, activities with inherent potential for the future. The Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment has already on offer a degree programme on Built Environment. Thus, a Doctoral programme on Built Environment would certainly support the existing programme, especially in further enhancing and integrating elements of Naqli and Aqli which are identifiable with USIM. The programme to be offered would be in the form of academic research focusing on Built Environment and cross-related to other fields of research guided by rich expertise currently available within the faculty.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Built Environment programme is designed to achieve the following objectives:
Acquisition of elaborate and advanced knowledge at Doctoral level and possessing professional status in research in Built Environment.
Achievement of Doctoral degree with ethical integrity, leadership capability and a high level of job and career responsibility plus significant contribution to the community.
Achievement of Doctoral degree which encourage knowledge that builds towards development of life-long professional career development.
Manager, Researcher, Architect, Educator, Policy Maker, Government/Private related Agencies
- A Master’s degree in the field or related fields accepted by the Senate; or
- Other relevant qualifications equivalent to a Master’s degree AND with relevant professional experience recognised by the Senate; or
- Candidates without a related qualification in the field/s or working experience in the relevant fields must undergo appropriate prerequisite courses determined by the Faculty.
- Incumbent Master’s degree Student who has fulfilled the requirement of Regulations 8.0 and is approved by the Senate to convert his/her study to a Ph.D. degree; or
- A Bachelor’s degree with the following conditions:
i. a bachelor's degree in the field or related fields with first-class (CGPA of 3.67 or higher) or its equivalent from an academic or Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) programme;
ii. undergo internal assessment; and
iii. any other requirements of the JKPSU.
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
1. All candidates need to show proof of fluency in Arabic. Candidates may apply for an exception if:
a) Upgrading from institutions that use Arabic as a medium of learning, OR
b) A Native speaker of Arabic; or
c) Pass Arabic proficiency test (APT) run by USIM
2. If item (2) is not fulfilled, candidates can be registered but need to register, attend and pass Arabic language courses conducted by USIM as part of the graduation requirement.
(1) An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).
The university has the right to withdraw this offer or to terminate you from your study if you are found to suffer from or to be a carrier of contagious/infectious diseases, or to suffer from a medical condition requiring continuous medical care that will adversely affect your study at USIM.
(1) Communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
(2) Chronic Non-communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
Applicants can apply via online at https://ipps2.usim.edu.my/ and fill the prescribed forms. Forms and supporting authenticated documents must then be submitted through online or mailed to the office.
For information related to visa and student pass, please refer to http://alamiyyah.usim.edu.my
Centre for Academic Management
Division of Graduate Studies
Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia
Bandar Baru Nilai, 71800, Nilai, Negeri Sembilan, MALAYSIA
Phone: +606 797 8683 / +606 797 8684
Email: email@example.com /firstname.lastname@example.org